lunes, 14 de noviembre de 2011

Exhibition: Amy Tavern: This is How I Remember It at Velvet da Vinci Art Jewelry and Sculpture Gallery, San Francisco

Amy Tavern: This is How I Remember It

November 2 - November 30, 2011


In her first solo exhibition, Amy Tavern will recreate jewelry from her grandmother's jewelry box, as she remembers it. Using a variety of materials to interpret and remember as many pieces as possible, she will revisit some of the pieces that shaped her personal history and relationship with jewelry. This exhibition will be the culmination of Amy Tavern's three-year residency at Penland School of Crafts in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina.

This exhibition opens on Wednesday, November 2 with an artist's reception on Friday, November 4 from 6 to 8 p.m.
.
Artist Statement:

The jewelry that has come in and out of my life over the years has had a profound effect on me, and ultimately, fueled my desire to be a jeweler. These special pieces changed my perspective on jewelry and form part of my history. In "Fabricated Memory: Jewelry Box, 1980," I created new works based on recollections of the contents of an old jewelry box and re-imagined through my formal language of shape and line, layering and repetition. In addition, significance lies in how the work exists in reality--arranged in a specific manner and viewed as a group, not just as individual pieces. This aspect stems from how I played with the jewelry box as a child, carefully arranging its contents over and over.

In "Collected Memories: 1974-Present," I analyzed the jewelry I own to discover patterns and to gain further insight into my history with jewelry. The completed installation serves as a timeline of my life with jewelry and a vehicle for intertwining events and people. The works are made using materials I have collected and are assembled in such a way as to emphasize the impermanence and incompleteness of memory. "This is How I Remember It" chronicles my history and preserves my memories, as the individual pieces from my past act as primary inspiration.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario